Amigurumi is...

...the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals, typically cute animals or inanimate objects endowed with human characteristics. The pervading aesthetic of amigurumi is cuteness (kawaii). Typical amigurumi animals have an over-sized spherical head on a cylindrical body with undersized extremities.

- RAWR

Sunday, January 31, 2010

a history lesson: the evolution of monsterami

I was cleaning my apartment tonight and I came across the FIRST MONSTERAMI EVER MADE!  I can't help but laugh...I read the Crochet for Beginners book wrong and instead of doing single crochet in the round, I did slip stitches for the entire thing. That's why his head is so misshapen.  haha  Well, that and I didn't know how to decrease stitches properly...













I cleverly thought to pose him with a bunch of martini glasses to make him seem more interesting....













The next day I decided to get off my lazy ass and google amigurumi.  I actually found some videos online and learned how to do it "the right way". My second amigurumi creation was a frog - and I followed a pattern and everything!













[I realized later I was still doing it the wrong way...I was crocheting in the back loop only instead of thru both loops.]

My third creation combined regular crochet with crochet in the round. I bought some more yarn colors (you can only make so many green and white things) and found another easy pattern online.  I posted this pic of him on my facebook page...














His pic got the following comments:
"looks like he had a few already"

"man, you look goofy when you drink wine"
"what you made it? what is it? a sponge?"
And Voila! The first monsterami with a name was born... Little Drunky!

So there you have it... for all you history buffs out there.  haha (And before anyone asks, no, I cannot recreate that first one. He was one of a kind...)

p.s. All three were stuffed with cotton balls. haha I was too lazy to go to the store to buy polyfil and I wasn't sure I would stick with this new hobby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment